Monday, August 19, 2013

2 Minute Review -- John Sanford's Heat Lightning

The first modern mystery novel I ever read was John Sanford's Winter Prey. My professor made us read it, and though I read it begrudgingly, Sanford turned me instantly into a mystery-loving fool. He's a great writer. Tremendous. I don't know how I ever missed Heat Lightning, but I think it's his best. I love the ethos and strength of the main character, who maintains an air of incompetence and weakness until the bad guys realize that they've been lured in. I love his pattern on falling in love with every woman he dates. I even love the fishing. A fantastic book.

2 comments:

  1. Shared your thoughts with over 2000 of my closest fake friends on FB.

    Nice, concise review, JB! Hope to see you this semester. It's looming, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marta. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm teaching all my favorites!

      Delete