Sunday, May 31, 2015

What is 30 Days until Done?

I was talking to a number of my former students who have gone out and started their careers. They all had the same complaint. They love to write, but they were having a hard time doing it because their lives were getting in the way. Without the schedule of a deadline, it was harder and harder.

I understand that completely. It's hard to find time to write, but when you sit down, coming up with something to write often takes all of your creative energy. That's why I'm taking on this project.

I have been teaching creative writing for twenty years now, and I have plenty of prompts waiting for someone to use them. We're going to work in terms of the collection instead of individual poems and stories. Poets and writers tend to produce much better work that way.

The idea is that if you follow the prompts for a month, then you will have a chapbook collection by the end of the month.

This is going to be a lot of fun, and you're going to do the work that you've always wanted to do. Send them to the magazines that I suggest, and I bet that you're going to publish some work!

6 comments:

  1. John. How do we sign on?
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Deborah,

      Just subscribe to my blog (on the right side of the page) and start writing. If you like, put your poems in the comment section! Glad you're aboard!

      Delete
    2. I guess it actually says "Join this site." Click that button!

      Delete
  2. “Banishment”

    A toy set of tools
    All bright colored plastic

    Hammer and saw
    Screwdriver and hatchet

    With two or three blows
    I chopped down a small sapling

    (The hammer or the hatchet;
    Plastic saws are worthless)

    I spent a week thereafter
    Though it felt more like forever

    Looking out a back window
    As from a prison tower

    At the bare patch of green
    All that wide, open green

    Where I sowed my first seed
    Of regret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Robert, I checked out the other copy of this on the other page. I really like it!

      Delete
  3. Heaven

    I was in a tent
    A pure white
    All around
    My head swiveled
    To the right
    Left
    Behind me
    It was as though
    Blindness
    Had taken over
    With a constant
    And overwhelming
    Sheet of nothingness
    As though the
    Sky avalanche
    Over me as if I was
    The recipient of death
    The plane drifted and broke
    Through the barrier of the cloud
    Contrasting into a bright blue
    I remember as a splash of
    Light more brilliant
    Than the blinding
    Hovering above
    The heavens

    ReplyDelete